Looking for my "final" camera

Cameras, lenses, tripods..
Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Looking for my "final" camera

Postby Alastair Moore » 18 Sep 2012, 14:45

So I've been through one or two (literally) 4x5 cameras. I started with a Sinar F2 and now own a Wisner Technical Field camera. I enjoyed shooting with both of them but the Wisner I've had more output with due to it's size and weight compared with the Sinar.

While I do like the Wisner a great deal - it looks fantastic with it's red bellows and cherry wood body, there's a lot I don't like about it. Fer'instance

• The standards can and do drop off the end of the rail/rack if I wind them too far back or too far forward. I find that annoying beyond belief.
  • It's very difficult to use with wide angle lenses, which I really enjoy shooting with. I've got a 90mm on it and focusing to infinity is almost impossible and I find I often need to focus to infinity with that lens.
  • It feels inaccurate - most of the movements don't have a "zero" notch so I'm never convinced everything is set to zero.
  • The ground glass is very dim.
  • The bag bellows I have are essentially useless, but I suspect that is probably due to their age perhaps - they sag inwards and get in the way of the screen so I'm getting a huge amount of vignetting.

While it's only a short list, it's long enough that I can often get frustrated with it.

What I do like about it is:

[list]
[*] I can carry it out easily and use it most anywhere.
[*] I do shoot a lot with it, because it's easy and it's pretty much the form factor I like.
[*] I get approving smiles from attractive girls when I shoot with it (I guess girls dig cherrywood and brass).
[list]

So, having come into a little extra money - not Ebony extra, but enough for a new camera - I'd like to buy the camera I shoot with for the next decade or two! I'm very set on 4x5. I really like that format - it's easy, it's cheap(ish), it's accessible so I don't see myself moving to anything else. I really like the foldable camera form factor

If my budget was around $1500, with all the above in mind, is there anything you would suggest? I did ask a similar question on LFPF but things have changed a little. I want a camera that doesn't frustrate me, essentially.

At the moment, I've narrowed it down to either a Chamonix 045n-2, or either the Shen Hao TZ45-IIB or Shen Hao XPO. I have considered a 5x7 with a reducing back but don't want to get into replacing my lenses etc. I'm currently more swayed towards the Chamonix at the moment as that appears to tick all the boxes but any other advice you guys could offer would be great.

Cheers!

Alastair

Walter Glover

Re: Looking for my "final" camera

Postby Walter Glover » 18 Sep 2012, 17:24

Alastair,

You'd need to be quick because the auction closes at about 9pm tonight.

I have nothing but praise for the Toyo 45 AII. I have owned a couple and my dream camera is another Toyo 810M which is like the big brother.

I would not touch a wooden camera if my life depended on it. I have always referred to the as dead people's furniture.

I have been testing and considering which of my cameras to keep and which to get shot of. My Sinar F2 wins. The Linhof is currently listed on Ebay because it just doesn't match the precision of alignment of the Sinar. And if precision is not a concern then why aspire to LF to begin with?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251149651915 ... _531wt_922
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 09 Oct 2012, 16:07

So, I've got myself a Toyo 45AX with a bunch of lens boards. I ummed and ahhed, weight up the options and thought this would be the one best suited for the way I shoot. Hopefully it should arrive in the next week or so. Very excited!

smbooth

Postby smbooth » 10 Oct 2012, 12:32

I like the Walker cameras

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 17 Oct 2012, 11:56

Well, can you believe it. My Toyo 45AX arrived. It took four days for delivery. I'm well pleased! The camera is fantastic and I've not even looked at it properly yet. Need to figure out how to use the movements on it but I've got this evening for that. I think this is exactly what I've been looking for! Photos of it/from it to come :)

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 17 Oct 2012, 14:48

I wish you every success and great growth with the Toyo, Alastair.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

L2obin

Postby L2obin » 20 Oct 2012, 12:49

Alistair, I went through a couple of cameras myself, but ever since I got an arca I have not looked back. The system really is that good! No complaints apart from wishing for a brighter gg.

Marko

L2obin

Postby L2obin » 13 Nov 2012, 11:19

I always found it hard to see a variety of LF gear cameras/lenses/meters. Perhaps organising a get-together where people bring their gear in might be a good idea?

Lachlan717

Postby Lachlan717 » 13 Nov 2012, 11:42

I'll contact you next time I'm heading to Sydney for work and chuck the Shen Hao XPO in for you to have a look at if you'd like?

L2obin

Postby L2obin » 14 Nov 2012, 00:14

Would be great to catch up for lunch/dinner/coffee/shoot =}

Return to “The Camera”