Coloured Filters for B&W

Cameras, lenses, tripods..
Walter Glover

Re: Coloured Filters for B&W

Postby Walter Glover » 09 Oct 2012, 07:31

Ideally, NOTHING should go between the front of the lens and the Centre-Grad.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

RoganJosh

Postby RoganJosh » 09 Oct 2012, 13:22

Lachlan717 wrote:Holding filters against the lens is fraught with danger in LF (compared to smaller formats). Due to reduced DoF with the larger format/focal length, shutter speeds tend to be much longer, introducing shake.

Easier, and only slightly more expensive than just the holding the filter, is to hold it in place with BluTac.

I still prefer a dedicated holder, but I do carry a stick of Blu Tac in my minimal pack.

I've never had sharpness or reflection problems.. in saying that i've never tried holding a filter for longer than a 1sec exposure. The blu-tac idea is brilliant btw, i'll be using it next time i need an extra hand when exposing

Lachlan717

Postby Lachlan717 » 09 Oct 2012, 19:24

Walter Glover wrote:Ideally, NOTHING should go between the front of the lens and the Centre-Grad.

I'll go with "theoretically", rather than "ideally". I've always shot with a LinPol between the lens and the CF and would argue that there's no discernible difference in quality.

I promise that I'm not doubting you, Walter. I just don't (literally) see any reason not to do it.

Lachlan717

Postby Lachlan717 » 09 Oct 2012, 19:25

RoganJosh wrote:The blu-tac idea is brilliant btw, i'll be using it next time i need an extra hand when exposing

That's why I get paid the big bucks!!

Return to “The Camera”