Coloured Filters for B&W

Cameras, lenses, tripods..
jars121

Coloured Filters for B&W

Postby jars121 » 07 Oct 2012, 11:11

Good afternoon everyone,

I've been reading a fair bit about using coloured filters when shooting B&W. I've got a Cokin Z-Pro setup for ND filters which I used on my digital gear, but I'm not sure whether having 'slide in' filters or 'screw on' filters are best in this case. What do people on here use? I'll be using the filters primarily with the GX680III and the 617.

Cheers,

Jamie

smbooth

Re: Coloured Filters for B&W

Postby smbooth » 07 Oct 2012, 14:12

I like screw on filter in general as light coming in from behind does not get in between the filter and len and then cause reflections. The Lee/Cokin are good if you have lots of different thread sizes though.

alexn

Postby alexn » 08 Oct 2012, 08:48

i use my lee setup for everything. bw coloured filters, grads, polarizer, the lot. i find it easier this way as im usually using a grad, coloured filter and a polarizer at once and any system other than my lee setup vignettes. its also much easier to position a polarizer, meter through the filter stack and clip the holder on to the lens, rather than using screw ins and trying to guess the polarizer position properly.. with 4*5 its not so bad because you can view through the lens. with a 617 range finder i can't.

i vote the lee setup all the way.. the $500 price for a reasonable slim polarizer sucks but its worth it...
http://www.facebook.com/alexartphotography - Alex art photography on Facebook
http://www.alexartphotography.com - Alex Nicholas Fine Art Photography

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 08 Oct 2012, 09:07

alexn wrote:i use my lee setup for everything. bw coloured filters, grads, polarizer, the lot. i find it easier this way as im usually using a grad, coloured filter and a polarizer at once and any system other than my lee setup vignettes. its also much easier to position a polarizer, meter through the filter stack and clip the holder on to the lens, rather than using screw ins and trying to guess the polarizer position properly.. with 4*5 its not so bad because you can view through the lens. with a 617 range finder i can't.

i vote the lee setup all the way.. the $500 price for a reasonable slim polarizer sucks but its worth it...

Yikes. 500 for the polarizer? I got a linear polarizer for less than $100. It's a 105mm that sits on the front of my lee holder. I think the expensive ones are the circular polarizers that you don't need for large format/non-auto focus lenses.

Lachlan717

Postby Lachlan717 » 08 Oct 2012, 10:08

I use both screw in (for the ULF stuff; B&W only) and a Cokin X-Pro kit for 4x5/6x17.

I need the size so that I can put them on the 72mm Schneider, with its 112mm centre filter. It's also good for shooting Velvia when I need both a warming filter and a ND filter.

As for the Pol issue, I use a linear Pol behind the CF. Also well under $100 for a good quality brand (Tiffen, B&W etc.)

The Hong Kong sellers on eBay have X-Pro holder (aftermarket) for really, really cheap prices.

jars121

Postby jars121 » 08 Oct 2012, 11:42

Thanks for the input guys! I'm familiar with the Cokin system, and definitely don't have the budget to invest in Lee gear, so I might look at getting some X-Pro stuff. The 617 has a 77mm filter which is nice, as it matches my Nikon SLR glass, but the GX680III ranges from 82mm to 95mm all the way up to 112mm. I'll have a look around on eBay and see what my options are. I just know that I really want to start creating some more dramatic landscapes with the red/orange filters!

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 08 Oct 2012, 12:21

jars121 wrote:Thanks for the input guys! I'm familiar with the Cokin system, and definitely don't have the budget to invest in Lee gear, so I might look at getting some X-Pro stuff. The 617 has a 77mm filter which is nice, as it matches my Nikon SLR glass, but the GX680III ranges from 82mm to 95mm all the way up to 112mm. I'll have a look around on eBay and see what my options are. I just know that I really want to start creating some more dramatic landscapes with the red/orange filters!

It might be worth looking at the Hitech filter system. It's pretty much Lee and Cokin compatible but you don't get the colour cast that you get with Cokin filters. It's much cheaper than Lee but only a little more expensive than Cokin.

RoganJosh

Postby RoganJosh » 08 Oct 2012, 20:15

If your looking for a cheap option I would suggest buying a $20 rectangular plastic filter set off ebay and just holding them by the corner against the lens when making an exposure. It works just as good as any other setup minus the ridiculous price tag. It makes me feel stupid for buying such an expensive screw-on filter kit when I was using medium format!

Lachlan717

Postby Lachlan717 » 08 Oct 2012, 20:50

Holding filters against the lens is fraught with danger in LF (compared to smaller formats). Due to reduced DoF with the larger format/focal length, shutter speeds tend to be much longer, introducing shake.

Easier, and only slightly more expensive than just the holding the filter, is to hold it in place with BluTac.

I still prefer a dedicated holder, but I do carry a stick of Blu Tac in my minimal pack.

alexn

Postby alexn » 08 Oct 2012, 21:21

lachlan, i would be interested in seeing the xpro setup you have... i will need the same when i get a 72 for my 617.

my 500$ polarizer is the singh ray lb warming polarizer in a slim ring. its a linear polarizer, i may well sell my lee holder, and the 100mm filters for a x pro setup.. i only need a polarizer, 81a, 2 & 3 stop rgnd, 2 &3 hard and soft gnd and orange red and r72.

if i can put a linear polarizer between my lens and the schneider IIIb, then step up to x pro on the front id be set.

one thing i wonder though. had do you go with having the polarizer behind the cf. i love having my polarizer on the front of my lee holsefso i can hold the whole thing up to my eye and adjust the polarizer then just snap it on.. with a range finder i feel i need the ability to see exactly what was happening. and to meter through it..
http://www.facebook.com/alexartphotography - Alex art photography on Facebook
http://www.alexartphotography.com - Alex Nicholas Fine Art Photography

Return to “The Camera”