Opinion - I don't want wood shooting Film...

Cameras, lenses, tripods..
hoffy

Re: Opinion - I don't want wood shooting Film...

Postby hoffy » 26 Nov 2012, 08:23

The other thing is that Wood camera’s are typically more expensive to get into at an entry level. And Lochlan yes, you are right – caring for lenses is of more priority. (I’ll also let you in on a secret – I do plan on having a wood camera, but that will be a project camera in the future, that I build myself).

Alistair, someone said you did have a Wista. What didn’t you like about it? (Just trying to determine the reasons why I should remove it from my list)

While we are talking Wista’s I noticed that the one I was looking at on the bay went for $220 – So much for buying a bargain with stuffed bellows, to be fixed later! It’s a couple of days until the Toyo that I am looking at finishes. It will be interesting to see how much this one goes for.

Cheers

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 26 Nov 2012, 08:50

hoffy wrote:The other thing is that Wood camera’s are typically more expensive to get into at an entry level. And Lochlan yes, you are right – caring for lenses is of more priority. (I’ll also let you in on a secret – I do plan on having a wood camera, but that will be a project camera in the future, that I build myself).

Alistair, someone said you did have a Wista. What didn’t you like about it? (Just trying to determine the reasons why I should remove it from my list)

While we are talking Wista’s I noticed that the one I was looking at on the bay went for $220 – So much for buying a bargain with stuffed bellows, to be fixed later! It’s a couple of days until the Toyo that I am looking at finishes. It will be interesting to see how much this one goes for.

Cheers

I had a Wisner (wooden field camera) not a Wista! :) I really liked the Wisner as a camera but it was built and designed for longer lenses and didn't deal with wider lenses (my preference) very well - the bag bellows was pretty ineffective. I've not used a Wista but by all reports they're very good cameras.

I suspect there are few cameras out there that are real dogs. It's probably just what and how you prefer to shoot that'll decide your camera of choice.

Lachlan717

Postby Lachlan717 » 26 Nov 2012, 10:17

hoffy wrote:The other thing is that Wood camera’s are typically more expensive to get into at an entry level.

If you keep an eye out, you can often get a 2nd hand Shen Hao for $500-600 on eBay. (Cheapest there at the moment is a new on for mid-$700).

hoffy wrote:(I’ll also let you in on a secret – I do plan on having a wood camera, but that will be a project camera in the future, that I build myself).

Designing and sourcing parts for an 8x10 at the moment. I have some 70 year old Blackwood that should make a beautiful camera, including a Carbon Fibre base.

Should have ample left for an 11x14 as the next project!

hoffy

Postby hoffy » 26 Nov 2012, 10:59

Lachlan717 wrote:
hoffy wrote:The other thing is that Wood camera’s are typically more expensive to get into at an entry level.

If you keep an eye out, you can often get a 2nd hand Shen Hao for $500-600 on eBay. (Cheapest there at the moment is a new on for mid-$700).

hoffy wrote:(I’ll also let you in on a secret – I do plan on having a wood camera, but that will be a project camera in the future, that I build myself).

Designing and sourcing parts for an 8x10 at the moment. I have some 70 year old Blackwood that should make a beautiful camera, including a Carbon Fibre base.

Should have ample left for an 11x14 as the next project!

Ohhh Yeah! An 10 inch woody is on my plan....ok, I better say 8x10, it doesn't sound so rude that way!

Ultimately, I have a dream to do something along the lines of tin types eventually, but starting at 4x5 sheet film is probably a better introduction into using large format.

Cheers

Lachlan717

Postby Lachlan717 » 26 Nov 2012, 11:51

hoffy wrote:
Ohhh Yeah! An 10 inch woody is on my plan....ok, I better say 8x10, it doesn't sound so rude that way!

Ultimately, I have a dream to do something along the lines of tin types eventually, but starting at 4x5 sheet film is probably a better introduction into using large format.

Cheers

I'll let you know how I get on.

It's bloody tough working out the best rear standard design, given I want both rise/fall and symmetric tilts.

The most difficult thing is to find the right rack/pinion and knob hardware, although I think that I have this in hand now. Again, I'll let you know the details if you want!

Geoff Roberts

Postby Geoff Roberts » 26 Nov 2012, 18:17

One advantage of monorail cameras is that some are designed as a system, allowing you to convert format just by putting a different sized back and bellows on, and perhaps a rail extension. Sinars are excellent and pretty affordable, as are the accessories. The F series are also reasonably light and compact.

smbooth

Postby smbooth » 26 Nov 2012, 21:38

Somthing cheap/reasonable & metal look into a Rittereck, normal seen as a 5x7 with a 4x5 back.

hoffy

Postby hoffy » 26 Nov 2012, 21:48

smbooth wrote:Somthing cheap/reasonable & metal look into a Rittereck, normal seen as a 5x7 with a 4x5 back.

Like this one:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rittreckview ... 19d6e12788

What are the movements like on these?

smbooth

Postby smbooth » 27 Nov 2012, 08:40

Yes that's the one. Its got all the movements you will need. Front rise, front and back tilt & swing.

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 30 Nov 2012, 12:39

Not sure if you'll get this before the auction is up but:

Clean looking Speed Graphic

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Speed-Graphi ... 500wt_1047

Return to “The Camera”