Off center lens board

Cameras, lenses, tripods..
Waltzing Paul

Off center lens board

Postby Waltzing Paul » 22 May 2013, 23:22

Hi, would someone please explain the use of an off center lens boards and when you would use one.
I will be ordering a couple shortly for a 90mm and 210mm lense.
As you probably guessed I'm new to LF so please excuse me if this seems a silly question.
Many thanks, Paul.
Paul

The pictures you want tomorrow, you have to take today". - Anonymous - Kodak advertisement

smbooth

Re: Off center lens board

Postby smbooth » 23 May 2013, 11:26

Depends on the camera and the default position of the lens. Some front standard don't go low enough to allow a centered len to drop below the centre of the frame, a off set lens board allows the len it be positioned below the centre line giving you more options for rise and fall. If the lens won't go below the centre line, you don't get fall, rise only. But you centre to centre your lens each time you set the camera up. If your current len board is centred set your camera up and put the len board on and set the front standard to the lowest position, if the hole is below the centre then use centred lens boards. if the hole is centered on the ground glass then get off set lens boards (or go without fall on the camera)

Maris

Postby Maris » 26 May 2013, 09:03

I make and use extreme off-centre lens boards for wide angle lenses on my Tachihara 45GF field view camera. This camera has no provision for bag bellows so lens shifts are restricted when the standard bellows are tightly compressed behind a wide angle lens such as a Nikkor-SW 65mm f4. By making the lens board square it can be mounted 4 different ways yielding rise, fall, left shift, and right shift displacements. A centred configuration can't be done but no one uses that, do they? Any problems with framing are solved by cropping. 4x5 negatives are generous.

Waltzing Paul

Postby Waltzing Paul » 27 May 2013, 23:42

Thanks for the replies guys. I had a feeling it was all about the movements.
Can't wait to try all this out.
Paul.
Paul

The pictures you want tomorrow, you have to take today". - Anonymous - Kodak advertisement

Lachlan717

Postby Lachlan717 » 28 May 2013, 06:59

Paul,

Have you had a look at http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum?

Another good source for LF information (as is APUG).

This site, however, has the best people!!

Return to “The Camera”