Negative Negatives!

Light, film, exposure..
gerronemo

Negative Negatives!

Postby gerronemo » 12 Jan 2020, 15:44

Being verrry new to 4x5 photography, and to this site, I'm hoipng for some guidance from those who've been doing it for much longer than I!
Have been through mannny negatives now, without much success, as can be seen from the attached images.
Camera Intrepid 4 with Schneider Angulon 90mm f5.6 lens.
Most of the negs so far have come out - messy like these.
Can anyone out there shed some ...er...light?
Thanks in anticipation!
Gerronemo

Film Fomapan 100.
Ilford chemicals.
Development in SP445 Tank
Temps approx 20-22c.
Attachments
img041.jpg
img036.jpg
Copy (2) of img042.jpg

Lachlan717

Re: Negative Negatives!

Postby Lachlan717 » 12 Jan 2020, 17:06

First one has a light leak (possibly when you’ve removed/replaced the dark slide).

The others have mottling; possibly from too little developer, too slow in the application of the developer (pour quicker!), over agitation, under agitation, stale fixer and/or developer being too strong.

If you’re happy with all of the above not being the case, try pre-soaking. This will “spread” the initial developer contact (i.e. the most “potent” part of the development cycle) more evenly across the emulsion.

Some people don’t subscribe to ore-soaking; however, I find it necessary as I shoot very long pieces of film, and end up with uneven development if I don’t do it.

gerronemo

Postby gerronemo » 13 Jan 2020, 07:06

Mannny thanks for you prompt reply!
I will try your suggestion of 'presoak'...andf see how that goes!
Will also keep an eye on all the other aspects you mentioned, just to be sure!
Will let you know how I go!
Thanks again!

Oscar
Site Admin

Postby Oscar » 13 Jan 2020, 17:06

Hi Gerry,

Lachlan's suggestions are very good.

You mentioned you're using the SP445; I've never used that tank myself (I'm using a Jobo), but I see there's some hints and tips on the SP445 at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTrtU0bhArQ including agitation.

As Lachlan has suggested, it could be an agitation issue, so maybe that video might be useful.

Thanks,
Oscar.

gerronemo

Postby gerronemo » 14 Jan 2020, 08:06

Thanks Oscar!
Have looked at that manny times, and indeed; 'they' (Tim@Stearman)have been advising and following my 'progress' in trying to address these issues!
Will look again at my 'agitation' pracatice...and see NEXT TIME - how the results go!
Just need the weather to cool down here(Port Macquarie), for me to want to 'go out there' takin' pix!

Cheers!
G

Return to “The Negative”