Film in shipping container for 4 months?

Light, film, exposure..
Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Film in shipping container for 4 months?

Postby Alastair Moore » 06 Feb 2015, 12:28

Hey all

So my boxes of camera gear, film etc. finally arrived (woo hoo). It took around 4 months to arrive where obviously the film was not frozen or refrigerated in that time. Should I/could I/may I expect some unwanted defects on the film as a result? I'll probably be in the market for some more film but there's a fair bit of 8x10 that I'd still like to use. I should probably just use it and see what happens.

smbooth

Re: Film in shipping container for 4 months?

Postby smbooth » 21 Feb 2015, 13:45

I would think it was OK, but try a sheet or two first before committing to a project.

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 21 Feb 2015, 15:05

So far, so good. I've run a few of those sheets through my camera and all is good. They're back in the freezer now though, I think they'll be happier there than coupled up in a shipping container.

jamespierce

Postby jamespierce » 25 Mar 2015, 17:19

For all we fuss about film and heat, x-rays and so-on it is remarkably resilient... perfect colour back in the days of ripened pro tranny is one thing, black and white is fairly bullet proof. I don't like leaving mine in hot hot cars, but otherwise don't fuss too much. Of course long term storage is fridge / freezer, but that's only sensible.

Return to “The Negative”