X Ray Film

Light, film, exposure..
smbooth

X Ray Film

Postby smbooth » 30 Mar 2015, 08:19

Ok just a place to start discussing X Ray Film.
Let see some results, developing methods, dilution, suppliers etc.

Barry Kirsten

Re: X Ray Film

Postby Barry Kirsten » 30 Mar 2015, 16:56

I would like to know how and where you can buy xray film in Australia. I can't find any local firm which will supply xray film to private individuals. Likewise people who sell xray film on eBay apparently won't supply to Australia. I've contacted ZZ Medical in the US, where many of the American LFers get their supplies, and they told me that Kodak forbids them selling outside the US. Talk about restrictive trade practices! What I am particularly interested in is Ektascan BRA which is green sensitive, single sided, has an anti-halation layer and seems to give the best results. Any info would be appreciated.

Lachlan717

Postby Lachlan717 » 30 Mar 2015, 17:41

Barry,

Have you considered getting a virtual mail box?

I have one (through Amex/myus.com) that allows me to overcome these restrictions, as well as just not being able to obtain certain things anywhere else (like size 14EEE shoes!!)

Cost about $50p.a., but that's easily amortised. Also, they have a preferential deal with US Post, meaning costs for postage are much better than you can usually get, and he post is super quick.

Barry Kirsten

Postby Barry Kirsten » 31 Mar 2015, 06:22

Hi Lachlan, good to make contact with you again. No, I haven't heard of this but I'll look into it. I don't have Amex but possibly there are other alternatives. Cheers.

Lachlan717

Postby Lachlan717 » 31 Mar 2015, 10:42

You, too, Barry!

I mentioned Amex as they recommended www.myus.com as a preferred supplier. When I was considering doing this (back in the halcyon days of AUS$1=US$1.15!!), I wanted a reputable organisation, and thought that anyone that Amex was willing to put their name behind was good enough for me.

So, have a look at myus.com; you don't need to have an Amex.

smbooth

Postby smbooth » 31 Mar 2015, 12:01

I purchased my X ray film through DLC but just checking with them now and they dont carry it. You could try Carestream Aust. Kodak MXG is what Ive got but its double side unlike the film you where looking at.

Barry Kirsten

Postby Barry Kirsten » 31 Mar 2015, 16:14

Thanks Lachlan and Shane. Carestream don't seem to have 8x10 sheets, the nearest I can find is 18x24 cm, but I haven't contacted them yet. The answer seems to be myus! I was vaguely aware that such organisations exist, but didn't know anything about them. Now I come to think of it, the guy at ZZ Medical was probably sugesting something like that when he replied to my enquiry about xray film. This would seem to be the answer, even though the AU$ is through the floor. I remember the days when it was worth US$1.15, and made good use of it. But you take the good with the bad and I find it evens out over time. Thanks for your replies.

Barry Kirsten

Postby Barry Kirsten » 01 Apr 2015, 06:38

Hi Shane, Yes, I've actually looked at the Freestyle reference. Good on price, but I haven't seen any work done with this film. Would be interesting to see how it compares with other films.

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 01 Apr 2015, 10:09

50 sheets of 8x10 for $40? That's nuts. Why is xray film so cheap and the rest so expensive? I'm guessing something to do with quantities of production and sales.

Return to “The Negative”