Rollei Crossbird/Nightbird/Redbird film

Light, film, exposure..
pmviewcam

Rollei Crossbird/Nightbird/Redbird film

Postby pmviewcam » 15 Oct 2013, 15:53

I have picked up some of the above film in 120 and 135 to play with, but was wondering whether you could get a similiar result by reversing sheet film in the film holder. From what I can find on the Web, it sounds as if these films are "normal" but rolled on in reverse.

Anybody tried it with sheet film? I have a fair amount of out-of-date colour stock that I would like to experiment with.

Cheers,

Peter
Canberra.

Lachlan717

Re: Rollei Crossbird/Nightbird/Redbird film

Postby Lachlan717 » 15 Oct 2013, 16:23

Won't the anti-halation layer prevent the projected image from hitting the emulsion?

Maris

Postby Maris » 17 Oct 2013, 09:02

Backwards loaded sheet film seems to work remarkably well and even image sharpness is scarcely compromised. The anti halation layer can be quite weak and still effective because it gets two goes at reducing light bounce off the film base; once for the stray light going in and again for the small amount of stray light bouncing back.

By way of defence I say I've never loaded a film backwards except for sheets that have no notch code, some litho materials or 4x5 sheets cut down from 8x10 , for example. On the other hand rollfilm loaded backwards definitely gets no images. Don't ask me how I know; too embarrassing.

pmviewcam

Postby pmviewcam » 23 Oct 2013, 17:09

Thanks for the ifo. I will try the the reversed 4x5.

But Maris, if you are right about reverse-rolled 120, I wonder how Rollei have prepared the Nightbird, Redbird, etc? Or did you mean that it involved the paper backing?

Peter.

Maris

Postby Maris » 24 Oct 2013, 09:14

Reverse loaded 120 means the backing paper faces the lens. About the only pictures possible are long exposures of the sun where the sun image burns its way through the backing paper and then into the film. The camera also fills with smoke. I figure the Crossbird/Nightbird/Redbird film is flipped before being spooled with the backing paper so the image hits the film directly but through the back.

I also wonder how commercial labs manage to scan and print images off this film. The way-out colour balance must really jerk their auto-print machinery.

pmviewcam

Postby pmviewcam » 24 Oct 2013, 18:59

Makes sense. Thanks.

Return to “The Negative”