Exchanging prints

Making your print in the darkroom
John Power

Exchanging prints

Postby John Power » 29 Sep 2021, 15:33

Hello!

I've had a search here and haven't found any "print exchange" threads, so thought I'd ask about it. Do these sorts of things happen? I've seen them on other sites, a group of 2 to 10 people agree to send around a print to each member of the group each month or so. I would absolutely love this, and I think it could be a good kick-along when things are a bit slow, inspiration is lacking ,etc.

I understand that a lot of you are in the business of selling prints and that this idea may not float your boat at all and that is 100% ok too :)

I'll be upfront about this: I dont have an LF enlarger, or easy access to one, so I don't think I'll be printing off my 4x5 negatives. If I do get one or arrange access, I will be keen to make it happen though.

I'm thinking something simple, like:
People note interest here (or via PM to me if you'd prefer)
We exchange contact details/postage addresses via private message
Once a month (or two months?) we set a date to send a print to each other member of the group... size probably doesn't matter to me, neither does format of the camera used, though I'd be sending 8x10 paper to start.
There is no pressure or expectation to join or stay, or print along a theme, just whatever takes your fancy.
Likewise, there is no pressure to discuss or feedback or such, but for me this would be a good chance to gather feedback from people with an eye for print quality.

The more I think about it, the more I wouldn't mind just sending prints even if nobody is keen to send me any! So yeah, if anyone would like a print every now and then from me, in exchange for some feedback about the whole image and print, let me know!

JP

Return to “The Print”