Can anyone recommend a loupe?

Cameras, lenses, tripods..
Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Can anyone recommend a loupe?

Postby Alastair Moore » 15 Apr 2013, 16:10

I'm currently using a Peak loupe, which is utterly useless. Unless you're looking directly overhead - not a single degree to the left or right - of the loupe, it's out of focus and it drives me nuts. My other loupe is big 2x loupe which I've seen mostly used in labs for inspecting negatives. It's a bit big although nice and sharp. I want a good loupe and I'm willing to pay (some) money for it. I just want a good working loupe for once and for all!

Lachlan717

Re: Can anyone recommend a loupe?

Postby Lachlan717 » 15 Apr 2013, 17:29

Which Peak?

I use their 4x one with the square base (to get into the corners), and I have no issues with it.

Greenspeed

Postby Greenspeed » 15 Apr 2013, 18:00

I a 4x Nikon loupe which performs similar to your Peak. I have now resorted to using a 5x Pentax loupe meant for negs/slides. Works well albeit a bit heavier.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 15 Apr 2013, 20:48

Schneider and Rodenstock 4x loupes. The best I ever had was a prototype 6x Schneider but I'll be buggered if I can find it.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 15 Apr 2013, 21:13

Lachlan717 wrote:Which Peak?

I use their 4x one with the square base (to get into the corners), and I have no issues with it.

I've got their 8x one with the square base (for the same reason) and it's a nightmare.

Walter Glover wrote:Schneider and Rodenstock 4x loupes. The best I ever had was a prototype 6x Schneider but I'll be buggered if I can find it.

I saw a Schneider 4x on ebay for $50. Perhaps I might try and pick that up.

Thanks all!

Lachlan717

Postby Lachlan717 » 15 Apr 2013, 21:58

Just get an 11x14" camera where you don't need a loupe!!

You know you want to...

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 15 Apr 2013, 22:15

Lachlan717 wrote:Just get an 11x14" camera where you don't need a loupe!!

You know you want to...

Don't start... I've got an 8x10 that has hardly seen the light of day (but I'm getting a car soon, things will change!). Unless you're planning on building a couple of 11x14s? :D

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 16 Apr 2013, 05:16

I have never found that format obviates the need for a loupe to focus on the ground glass.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Lachlan717

Postby Lachlan717 » 16 Apr 2013, 07:02

Walter Glover wrote:I have never found that format obviates the need for a loupe to focus on the ground glass.

Well, you were told that you'd go blind if you didn't leave it alone...

Richard White

Postby Richard White » 03 May 2013, 14:35

Why are there always wacky replies when someone asks a question? beats me.

Loupes have been somewhat of a bugbear of mine over the years. I have just ordered a Silvestri 6x yesterday as I have read some really good reports about them and I am fed up with hassling a little when using wide angle lenses. Hopefully this will fix my problem or add to the other 6 loupes I have. Currently I am using a Mamiya 5x which is very good, but dare I say not excellent otherwise I wouldn't have ordered the other one. Can let you know how the new one works when it arrives. The one thing I could suggest for any loupe is to add some non slip material to the bottom to save scratching the ground glass and to stop the little devils slipping around. I super glued some to the Mamiya and it has improved the last two problems I just mentioned.
Having said all that Schneider and Rodenstock are very good loupes, but can be quite costly. I would suggest trying to avoid the 10x as they show up the grain on the GC too much and 4x I find just a bit short. That's been my experience in my pursuit of the perfect loupe. Cheers, Richard

Return to “The Camera”