WTB: Tripod head suitable for Cambo 8x10

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

WTB: Tripod head suitable for Cambo 8x10

Postby Alastair Moore » 17 Aug 2012, 13:26

Hey chaps,

I took my 8x10 out for it's virgin shoot this lunchtime. While I got my shot in the end, wrestling with the camera directly on the tripod was less fun than I had hoped for.

Using the camera was beyond wonderful once I'd got the camera into place! Absolutely magnificent composing on that massive sheet of ground glass! I'm not sure how I'll go back to 4x5 now!

But anyway, I'm looking for a head suitable for this camera so I can concentrate more on composing and shooting an image and feel less like I'm herding a cluster of rabid cats.

I'm currently shooting with a Manfrotto 410 for my 4x5 cameras and have put my Cambo 8x10 on that head but not convinced by the stability of it all, so need something a bit beefier.

Thank you!

Welly

Lachlan717

Re: WTB: Tripod head suitable for Cambo 8x10

Postby Lachlan717 » 17 Aug 2012, 13:59

Welly,

I use a Manfrotto 229 (http://www.manfrotto.com/3d-super-pro-head) with my 7x17". No issues whatsoever.

One thing that I'd suggest for bigger formats is a ball head. I find that the weight of these cameras makes fine adjustments very difficult with a friction screw.

Geoff Roberts

Postby Geoff Roberts » 17 Aug 2012, 17:03

Isn't there a stronger (and heavier) version of the 410 which is also relatively cheap second hand? Otherwise, the Arca Swiss heads are fantastic if budget permits.

alexn

Postby alexn » 17 Aug 2012, 17:39

I use a Really Right Stuff BH-55.. I've had everything on it from my Nikon SLR with a 500mm F/4 through to a 4x5 monorail setup on the beach in strong winds... My Manfrotto 055XproB legs are definitely the weak point in the setup. The head feels solid as a rock no matter what I put on it and it just oozes quality. Everything works as it should, its smooth as silk when unlocked then locks down so tight that the 500mm F/4 + D2Xs can be left on it unattended without concern. and even if the SLR body is removed from the lens creating a massive imbalance, the lens still stays exactly where it was locked down..

Cant speak highly enough of the BH-55 although some people find ball heads a bit playful for LF cameras.. I find because of how long I have had the head that It just feels natural to me..
http://www.facebook.com/alexartphotography - Alex art photography on Facebook
http://www.alexartphotography.com - Alex Nicholas Fine Art Photography

Alastair Moore
Site Admin

Postby Alastair Moore » 17 Aug 2012, 17:40

Geoff Roberts wrote:Isn't there a stronger (and heavier) version of the 410 which is also relatively cheap second hand? Otherwise, the Arca Swiss heads are fantastic if budget permits.

There's a strong, heavier and more expensive ($500+) version of the 410! I have considered it. I've got a ball head I used to use on my dslr and mf camera which I should try. Otherwise might have to save up for the 405 if no one has anything else, as I love my 410

John Austin

Postby John Austin » 19 Aug 2012, 11:11

I have a spare biggest bugger Gitzo, I am not sure of the type Nr, but I will have a quick look, hang on a moment

OK, back now with 'phone pix, hmm pic loading thing does not want to load from 'puter the type Nr has been cut away on both of them when I had them modified to allow use of a 35mm PC Nikkor - Anyhow, it does take a 10x8" Sinar Norma with lots of extension without wobble - I will be looking at a pair of wooden tripods at the end of this month and if neither of them suit me the spare head will be available

John

Return to “For Sale/Wanted”