Epiphyte, White Wood.

Maris

Epiphyte, White Wood.

Postby Maris » 27 Nov 2018, 11:12

Epiphyte, White Wood

Gelatin-silver photograph on Agfa MCC 111 VC FB photographic paper, image size 24.6cm X 19.5cm, from a 8x10 Kodak Tmax 400 negative exposed in a Tachihara 810HD triple extension field view camera fitted with a Fujinon-W 300mm f5.6 lens.

Mick Fagan

Re: Epiphyte, White Wood.

Postby Mick Fagan » 28 Nov 2018, 17:21

Quite a nice rendition of the trunks, funnily enough, those trunks look like they belong to a dead tree, yet, unlike a parasite, an epiphyte doesn't live off and possibly be the demise of the host.

Nice one there Maris.

Even allowing for the fact you are using a 300mm, it looks as though you are reasonably close, any extra exposure for bellows extension?

Mick.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 29 Nov 2018, 05:34

To quote a sage hero of mine:
" One should photograph objects, not only for what they are but for what else they are."
— Minor White

So here, for me, are symbiotic forms, perhaps unwittingly forming a classic icon through which we can view other realities, or our own reality.

Love it Maris!!
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Maris

Postby Maris » 29 Nov 2018, 10:50

Thanks Mick and Walter. The sun-bleached dead tree was in the Noosa National Park just over my back fence. The forms were mildly elegant but needed a "kicker". One summer the little plant emerged from the hollow in the tree and completed the scene. Just like a dot turns a line into an exclamation mark!

Exposure compensation? There was a bit. Exposed Tmax 400 at E.I. 200 so there's a stop. Placed white wood on Zone VIII so three stops more. And then a stop more for the bellows extension. That's 5 stops over a straight reading from my Sekonic L-758D (mercifully accurate) light-meter. Large format film loves to eat light. Under-exposure is irretrievably fatal.

Return to “Things”