Window, Newstead Wharf.

Maris

Window, Newstead Wharf.

Postby Maris » 01 Aug 2019, 12:59

Window, Newstead Wharf
Gelatin-silver photograph on Agfa MCC 111 VC FB photographic paper, image size 24.3cm X 19.5cm, from a 8x10 Kodak Tmax 400 negative exposed in a Plaubel Profia 8x10 monorail camera fitted with a Fujinon-W 300mm f5.6 lens.
This photograph was made with an extreme lateral lens shift so that horizontal picture elements would remain parallel and the reflection of the camera and photographer would not be visible in the glass.
The old government bond store on Newstead Wharf dated from the nineteenth century and none of the window glass was flat; more interesting and characterful that way, I think. It's all been knocked down now and replaced by fancy river side apartments.

Walter Glover

Re: Window, Newstead Wharf.

Postby Walter Glover » 02 Aug 2019, 04:27

What pure delight? Was the need for extreme lateral shift what drove you to forsake the Tachihara for the Plaubel? I got sisck and tired of being hampered by the restriction of lateral shift with the Toyo and have just reverted to a Sinar again. Hopefully, this weekend I might get out to stretch its wings.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Mick Fagan

Postby Mick Fagan » 05 Aug 2019, 14:39

Very nicely done Maris.

I presume when you mention extreme lateral shift, you possibly moved the front and rear standards in opposite directions? Whatever you did, the distortion in the glass is incredible, yet there is no distortion in the building.

Mick.

Maris

Postby Maris » 06 Aug 2019, 15:20

You are right Mick:front and rear standards in opposite directions to the hard limit of the bellows. I initially set up too close and had to back off to avoid being reflected. And I even unknowingly split the bellows a little bit but with the focussing cloth over the bellows there was no visible light leak. That turned up on the next exposure.

Mick Fagan

Postby Mick Fagan » 10 Aug 2019, 19:42

Bag Bellows?

Mick.

Maris

Postby Maris » 11 Aug 2019, 14:32

I was too parsimonious to spring for the bag bellows. Less than $1000 but not by much. I got the Plaubel Profia 8x10 heavy metal monorail camera cheap from someone who hated it. I hated it in turn and finally sold it to someone who will eventually come to dislike it. On a studio stand it's very good but as a walk-around camera, nah.

Mick Fagan

Postby Mick Fagan » 11 Aug 2019, 16:48

That is (was) rather expensive.

I have a set of bag bellows for my Shen Hao, at the time Badger graphics in the USA had them listed for $100 USD, this was when the AUD was worth $1.02 USD. I bought them and added them to an order of three 100 sheet boxes of FP4+. Current price at Badger is is $212 USD or $312 AUD plus freight

As the bellows were so light, they didn't push the postage up to the next level. Effectively, they cost me $100 AUD landed as I was buying three boxes of film regardless. At the time, that film worked out at $109 AUD per 100 sheet box, delivered to my letterbox. The same film was close to $50 AUD at Vanbar for a 25 sheet box.

I wondered about a set of bag bellows for my Toyo 45G, too expensive at $265 AUD delivered for what I may need them for. Still cheaper than the Plaubel bellows though.

Mick.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 11 Aug 2019, 23:04

This bag bellows discussion makes me feel quite chuffed. As part of re-equipping with the Sinar I managed to pick up a brand new Wide Angle Bellows I for $60.00 plus freight. That said, USPS was embarrassing slow.

Still champing at the bit to get out and shoot but my head is full of slippery slime and the wind has also been a spot of discouragement this past weekend also.
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Return to “Places”