Tarraville Church

Mick Fagan

Tarraville Church

Postby Mick Fagan » 05 Aug 2019, 11:46

This is the oldest Church in Gippsland, or so the sign says. I have been four times to this, each time it has been raining. This time wasn't any different, misty rain fell for the whole time we were there. Decided to have a go anyway as it may be quite some time before we can get back. Exposed this last week.

The church doesn't look straight, I double checked my standards and the camera was level. Even my wife checked on the GG and offered the opinion that the fence was causing an optical illusion as it runs at an angle to the church and slightly uphill. I measured the bell tower from the edge of the negative, it is parallel. In the end, I concurred with my wife. Firstly because it was safe, secondly because she was correct.

Shen Hao HZX-IIA 4x5" wooden folder
FP4+ 250mm lens, no filter. 1/15 @ f22

Mick.

190002_Tarravale_Church_FP4_No-Filter_250mm_005_Web.jpg

Warmtone

Re: Tarraville Church

Postby Warmtone » 13 Aug 2020, 21:47

Nice image Mick - My family used to stay at a guest farm in Hedley and I’m sure this is close by but I don’t remember seeing this old Church.
Looks very well preserved!

Mick Fagan

Postby Mick Fagan » 15 Aug 2020, 13:46

Well unless you really look for it, one doesn't see it as you pass by/through this village. It is on an L shaped road and not one where you would normally go along.

Mick.

Warmtone

Postby Warmtone » 16 Aug 2020, 08:37

Hi Mick, next time I’m down in Hedley I will give this church a visit.
Forgot to mention your image shows exceptionally good tonality and resolution even on my iPad.
Strong contender for a Fine Print!

Maris

Postby Maris » 16 Aug 2020, 10:46

Mick, there are lots of pictures of the Tarraville Church on the internet but they all fail to see what you have shown most superbly: the visual unity of the white fence, the bell-tower, and the church itself. That 250mm lens (f6.7?) being longer than normal "crowds" all the good bits together. Ever since Paul Strand's The White Fence, Port Kent, 1916 it would be remiss for the photographically literate eye to look past such a richly evocative subject. Good one indeed!

Mick Fagan

Postby Mick Fagan » 16 Aug 2020, 13:36

WT, I think you will find it an interesting little church. The signs, which are just out of sight in my image, tell quite the interesting story.

Yes I have thought of making a print of this for a house wall hanging, but that may never eventuate as I have quite a few ahead of this negative.

Mick.

Mick Fagan

Postby Mick Fagan » 16 Aug 2020, 14:01

Maris, interesting observation of yours there. I did indeed select the 250mm lens to isolate the building from it's surrounds, with the knowledge that I would need to be quite a bit further away from the actual building. Inclusion of the fence, for whatever reason seemed important to me.

I hadn't thought of other images, so I did a search, you are correct, there seem to be squillions of images of that particular building. Initially I thought the 90mm would be the go, but walking around I couldn't get the perspective I was looking for. I dismissed the 150mm as it squeezed the surrounds out, but not enough. Rain started coming down rather heavily, so back to the cab in the ute for a wait and re-think of the possibilities. Once outside again, I ascertained I could do worse than use the 250mm objective.

Your description, "the visual unity of the white fence, the bell-tower, and the church itself." sums it up very accurately, better than I am able to do.

I have a pretty battered 4x5" cardboard cutout with which I often walk around a scene, holding it at 90mm, 150mm or 250mm away from one eye. This gives me a reasonable depiction of what I think I'm looking for. Usually I have an idea of what I'm after and pretty much know which lens and film I'm going to use. This time though I just couldn't get there in a hurry.

As an aside, I find the cardboard cutout is not anywhere as useful when thinking about using the 65mm lens. It does give me a guide, but looking at the GG when the 65mm is on, seems to be the best way to know.

Fujinon 250mm f/6.7, I wish. Nope, it is a Fujinon 250mm f/6.3 which I would doubt is no worse or better, than the oftentimes wished for f/6.7 unit. I've been in love with this lens since acquiring it.

I was hoping to be back in that area right now, one year later. Not happening, as we are still in lock down; 22 weeks straight.................

Mick.

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 17 Aug 2020, 05:26

Ave Paul Strand and Mick Fagan!
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Mick Fagan

Postby Mick Fagan » 17 Aug 2020, 09:07

Walter Glover wrote:Ave Paul Strand and Mick Fagan!

I don't think so, but thank you anyway.

Posthumously someone may think so, but I'm not in a hurry to let that happen. :mrgreen:

Walter Glover

Postby Walter Glover » 17 Aug 2020, 23:30

Mick,
I'm not suggesting for a moment that you're headed someplace any time soon. I was just applauding yur ongoing interest and dedication. I hold the same respect for all of us here who delight in applying our craft.

Enjoy,
Walter Glover

"We see things not as they are. We see them as we are."
Emanuel Kant

Return to “Things”